Simon Perry, Business Manager at RSA and long-time Nexus Member is holding a presentation in the Hub on the new compliance requirements for Australian Privacy Law.
Australian privacy law has changed as of February 2018 and now require that many organisations follow formal procedures in the event of the loss or inappropriate access to personal information; for example information about customer or employees.
Nexus will be hosting a Lunch and Learn Session in the Hub for you to attend.
When: Wednesday, 2nd May
Time: 12pm – 1pm
Where: Nexus, 3 Amy Close North Wyong
RSVP: email@example.com by 27th April
Government agencies, businesses and not-for profit organisations that have an annual turnover of more than $3 million, ALL private sector health service providers, credit reporting bodies, credit providers, entities that trade in personal information and tax file number (TFN) recipients are affected by the new law.
Organisations must now notify the Privacy Commissioner, and the individuals whose information has been disclosed if a loss or breach of information occurs.
When is a breach considered ‘Notifiable’?
If personal information is disclosed then the breach must be disclosed. Personal information includes:
- Date of birth
- Addresses and other contact details
- Driver licenses and other official identifiers
- Financial information
- Health information
- Personal information including sexual preference and political affiliation
What must you do?
- Notify the commissioner in a timely manner upon detecting the breach
- Provide details of what information has been disclosed
- Provide an accurate estimate of how many individuals are affected
- Provide dates of when the breach occurred, when was it detected, what you have done since, and what you are doing to ‘make good’ the breach and the personal losses or damage individuals may suffer
What does this mean?
- You must understand your requirements under the new law and have a plan as to how to deal with a breach or loss of information
- You may need to work with your IT service provider to ensure you have an effective plan in place
Latest posts by Sonia Pansare (see all)
- Australian privacy law has changed as of February 2018 - April 13, 2018
- 10 Must-Have Collaboration Tools for your Small Business - March 13, 2018
- How Shared Office Space Drives Higher Productivity - February 28, 2018